Community » Forums » The Plaza » Basic Information on Halloween Contest 4

Friendly Center of Attention So Much To Say Something To Say
of 14 badges
(21 Votes, 4 Average)
HISTORY:

Previous Halloween contests:

2008: B1LL hosted the first Halloween Mii contest: http://gamercreated.com/forum/1/8060/p1
2009: Dylan hosted the second Halloween Mii contest: http://gamercreated.com/forum/1/8898/p1
2010: Eben hosted the third Halloween Mii contest: http://gamercreated.com/forum/1/9191/p1

THIS CONTEST:

So... will this contest be a Halloween Mii contest, too? No! If you don't want to make a Mii, you won't have to make a Mii. This is the first Halloween contest which does not rely on Miis!
Also, the voting approach will be a slightly different one.
Here is what you'll have to do:

INFORMATION ABOUT SUBMISSIONS:

All the stuff you make has to be Halloween-related in some way.

You can use anything you want to create your work. Any program, any approach is allowed. You could also, for example, write your text by hand and take a good photo of it. There is no limit to your creativity! The more surprising and astonishing your submission the better.

Each week requires you to create a different work of art. In week one and in week four you can choose between two options. All in all, you'll upload four different things: each week requires you to upload one work of art and because there are four full weeks in October, you'll upload four things. Obvious, isn't it?

Your submissions must be new. Where is the fun when we choose between things we already know? We could do that anytime. In this contest, you are allowed to show that you are creative at a wide range of activities, so don't be boring. We want to see fresh stuff :)

And where will your submissions go? I'll tell you:
All submissions for week 1 go to the WEEK 1 SUBMISSIONS THREAD.
All submissions for week 2 go to the WEEK 2 SUBMISSIONS THREAD.
All submissions for week 3 go to the WEEK 3 SUBMISSIONS THREAD.
All submissions for week 4 go to the WEEK 4 SUBMISSIONS THREAD.

Either I'll post your submissions there or you yourself post them there. In any event, the submissions will be collected nicely in the above-named threads.

You can start working now, if you want to. There should be enough time :)
of 14 badges
(21 Votes, 4 Average)
INFORMATION ABOUT VOTING:

Everybody should vote: the more votes the more accurate the results. How do you vote? I'll tell you.

I will not give you the usual polls. Yep, I won't. The approach will be another one which requires you to do a bit more, but it'll be well worth it. Really.

Everybody competes against everybody.

Every creation for week 1 competes against every creation for week 1 in the WEEK 1 VOTING THREAD.
Every creation for week 2 competes against every creation for week 2 in the WEEK 2 VOTING THREAD.
Every creation for week 3 competes against every creation for week 3 in the WEEK 3 VOTING THREAD.
Every creation for week 4 competes against every creation for week 4 in the WEEK 4 VOTING THREAD.

In these threads you'll tell us which creation you like better. So now, with 9 participants, this means that you have to make 56 choices for one week (8 multiplied by 7 (because we leave out the fixtures which contain your own name and we also leave out 'a name vs. same name'). And yes, this means that you have to make 224 (56 multiplied by 4) choices all in all. But don't worry, I'll post a pattern with all possible fixtures which you'll just copy and paste. All you have to do is tell us the names of the artists whose creations you want to win against other artist's creations. Examples:

artista vs. artisto: artista
This means that you like artista's submission better.

artisti vs. artisto: artisto
This means that you like artisto's submission better.

That's right, this for every possible combination so that everybody competes against everybody. But you don't have to write all the names down; as I said, I'll provide the pattern with all the fixtures. You just copy and paste that pattern and write the names of the artists you want to win after the colon. If the fixture contains your own name, then please don't write anything after the colon (because of objectiveness).

What, you might say, so many decisions!? Let me explain. You will see that it's not too much work and I think it's a much better way than creating polls in which one vote can knock you out of the whole tournament. The way we'll do it allows you to stay in the contest for all four weeks and even if you did not very well before you'll always have a good chance to win if you create a really outstanding piece of art for which everybody votes. So it is more motivating. Furthermore, it is more precise. If every participant and maybe even other cool people vote every week, we will have a lot of little victories (a lot of fixtures result in a lot of little victories) which in the end will form the winner accurately! Moreover, with this voting approach, it is not so bad if a person does not upload his/her works of art. This does not mean that I don't care whether you show up or not. You should absolutely upload all four creations. But if someone was so audacious and would not upload his/her creations - it will not harm anybody. We just won't vote for this person and the contest will go on. But, as I said, please upload your creations and don't misuse this awesome voting system :)

At the end of each voting thread I'll post the score so that you see whether you should work harder on your next contributions or whether you did so well that you can be more relaxed next week.

In case you didn't really understand how to vote then just wait until I do it and then you should understand it. It's not so difficult, you'll see.
of 14 badges
(21 Votes, 4 Average)
TIME SCHEDULE:

Your work for week 1 must be submitted by the 2nd of October (inclusive) at the latest.
From Oct 3rd - Oct 9th you will be able to vote in the 'week 1 voting thread'. Also, in this week you should start working on your submission for week 2 if you haven't already.

Your work for week 2 must be submitted by the 9th of October (inclusive) at the latest.
From Oct 10th - Oct 16th you will be able to vote in the 'week 2 voting thread'. Also, in this week you should start working on your submission for week 3 if you haven't already.

Your work for week 3 must be submitted by the 16th of October (inclusive) at the latest.
From Oct 17th - Oct 23rd you will be able to vote in the 'week 3 voting thread'. Also, in this week you should start working on your submission for week 4 if you haven't already.

Your work for week 4 must be submitted by the 23rd of October (inclusive) at the latest.
From Oct 24th - Oct 30th you will be able to vote in the 'week 4 voting thread'. Also, you should take a break from working :)

On Oct 31st, the winner will be hailed as a hero.

PLEASE MAKE SURE THAT YOU SUBMIT YOUR WORK ON TIME! THANKS.
of 14 badges
(21 Votes, 4 Average)
THE WINNER:

There will be a thread for the winner in which his/her submissions will be featured again so that we can sit back and enjoy the winner's great creations.
Also, I think that the winner should get a prize. A contest without a prize is not really a contest. So I thought I will work on sth. with a reference to his/her victory. The winner can choose what type of work he'd like to see: drawing, text, Mii, etc. I'll do it in a way so that it is clear that he/she was the winner of the Halloween contest 2011. It's similar to Mr. TiP's Mii as a prize for celery's victory in the first Halloween contest except that this time the winner can choose the type of work he/she would like to see.
Or should we say the person with the fewest votes will have to do it... hmmm... (no, no... I'll do it...).

---

GOOD LUCK.
Friendly Center of Attention So Much To Say Something To Say Spammer
of 15 badges
(23 Votes, 4 Average)
Hm... the only objection I have towards all this is that not everyone knows or is good at ALL these skills.
Is each week a separate contest?
Now that I read it, I would only need to make ONE video/ song and ONE comic. Easy enough for me, but I have a feeling that week one will give some people a disadvantage in that some people just can't do videos to save their life.
Of course, I PERSONALLY have no problem with it, but I just don't know if people like Toon&Anime know how to do videos/ songs very well....
of 14 badges
(21 Votes, 4 Average)
Oh, look at me! I am a real noob: apart from my two Mii videos, I've never made a video with a computer program, I suck at singing and I've never really recorded a song. However, I don't see all this as a problem. I don't expect anyone to be good at making a video or whatever. It can be pretty bad. Sure, you should try your best, but look at it this way: nobody can know everything; nobody can be good at everything. It is not as if this contest only accepts high quality videos. A lot of things are allowed and whilst someone might be good at this, another person might be good at another thing. This contest, as I've already indicated, allows you to be creative at a wide range of activities. So if you are not good at, let's say, making a video, you might be good at drawing sth. so that it compensates and you'll still have the chance to win (especially with something outstanding for which everyone votes). Some people might like week 3 better than week 1, other people might like week 1 better than week 3. Tastes differ, skills differ. And I won't be so strict; I already accept some pictures or whatever crappily put together as a video. If you can't finish it on time, just upload your work in progress. If it's really bad, we can have a good laugh but I certainly will not say oh look, blahblah is so stupid he can't even make bluhbluh properly. Maybe I'll even vote for it if it's halloweenish-blood-curdlingly bad... it can be a real challenge if you've never done something like that before, but it's not mission impossible.

I was and am aware that the first week might require some people (people like me!) to spend a day or two or three or four. This is the reason why I put that at the beginning of the contest so that you have enough time. You can start working now. A whole month for a video or song... yeah, I think that is possible. Even for noobs like me :)
Popular Friendly Center of Attention So Much To Say Something To Say Spammer
of 18 badges
(41 Votes, 4 Average)

... Blimey! This requires some serious commitment  :O

I've never made a video... don't have a video camera... or a fancy cellphone. And I don't have any software to make animations of gifs... but if someone can recommend some free or cheap software / programs / downloads then I'll give it a go...

of 14 badges
(21 Votes, 4 Average)
^ don't worry, there are enough possibilities...

1) some websites you might want to try
http://goanimate.com/ http://www.onetruemedia.com/ http://studio.stupeflix.com/ http://www.muvizu.com/ http://www.dvolver.com/moviemaker/index.html http://www.xtranormal.com/ http://www.toondoo.com/ http://www.doink.com/

2) free software you can download... for example here http://download.cnet.com/Ulead-GIF-Animator/3000-2186_4-10002057.html?tag=rb_content;contentMain

3) when you think you have found sth. and want to look whether there are similar programs, you can visit http://www.moreofit.com/

4) google and see what you can find.

5) ... is the camera with which you took photos of your Wii-Miis or paintings really limited to photos (what sort of camera is it?)?

6) borrow a video camera...
of 15 badges
(23 Votes, 4 Average)
^ oh yeah... go animate... almost forgot about them...
of 14 badges
(21 Votes, 4 Average)
^ what program do you actually use to make your cartoons?

Btw, don't forget that a song is possible as well! I can think of two ways to do that...

1) Record it (there are also a lot of programs for that), save it as a sound file, upload it to, for example, RapidShare and post the link.

2) Put the sound file in a video (should be possible with Windows Movie Maker, for example) and post the video: such a video does not have to show something, of course (however, if you are in the mood, you are also allowed to combine your video and your song!).
of 15 badges
(23 Votes, 4 Average)
I use Adobe Flash just so you know. I publish it on my own website.
of 14 badges
(21 Votes, 4 Average)

^ cool ^.^

Just to be clear, with "however, if you are in the mood, you are also allowed to combine your video and your song" I meant that if you make a video, you'll be allowed to also add a song to it and if you make a song, you'll be allowed to also add some pictures to it (if you want to and if it enriches your video or song). But, of course, don't mix them intensely. If you did that, we wouldn't know for what you want us to vote - the video or the song. You should concentrate on either a video or a song; you can, if you want to, add a bit from that to this or the other way around, but it should still be recognizable what your main work is. Otherwise, it might manipulate and complicate the voting approach.

In week 4 you also have two options - however, in that week you can't really mix something... unless you dress up as a Halloween-Mii... :D

Looking forward to seeing everyone's submissions!

Popular Friendly Something To Say
of 12 badges
(18 Votes, 4 Average)
This is cool. Can't wait to see everyone's work.
Friendly Something To Say
of 11 badges
(9 Votes, 4 Average)
Well this is a lot more challenging than I thought it would be. I am no artist, can't make a video (maybe a slide show) but it still sounds like fun. Thanks for the links 'cause I'm sure I'm gonna need em. Good Luck everyone!
of 14 badges
(21 Votes, 4 Average)
^ i'm sure you can do it. good luck!
Popular Friendly So Much To Say Something To Say
of 16 badges
(31 Votes, 4 Average)
Sorry to say but with school and all my other activities I haven't found time to be able to participate : I'm sorry. I'll try to pop on here and then and vote, but I just don't have time anymore...
Add CommentAdd Comment

You must be logged in to comment.